MSU chancellor Dr Mrunalini Devi Puar – Akkaraje passes away
“I condole passing away of Mrunalini Devi Puar ji and pray that her soul attains eternal peace. Her contribution to society will be remembered,” tweeted Prime Minister Modi.
“Mrunalini Devi Puar ji continued the Gaekwad family’s glorious tradition of service through education, including as MSU Chancellor,” he added.
Dr. Mrunalini Devi Puar, 83, took charge as the Chancellor of MSU in 1988. She was the first woman Chancellor of a recognized Indian University with more than 35,000 students.
Maharani Mrunalini Devi Puar (25 June 1931 – 1 January 2015) was the Chancellor of MSU for over 25 years was the second of the eight children born of Maharaja Pratapsinh Gaekwad.
She completed her schooling from Cambridge University in UK in 1947 and was a Gold medallist in Foods & Nutrition from MS University in 1970.
Image Copyright – Nafis Khan
- A Basic Degree in Home Science (B.Sc. Home)
- M.S. (Food & Nutrition) from Iowa State University Of Science & Technology.
- Applied Nutrition Certificate (Postgraduate) from National Institute Of Nutrition, Hyderabad
- Registered Dietician Certificate from Indian Dietetic Association.
- Ph.D. (Food & Nutrition) from The Maharaja Sayajirao University Of Baroda.
- She knows English, Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi and Sanskrit.
HONOURS, AWARDS AND FELLOWSHIPS:
- Award and citation of ‘Outstanding Chancellor’ at World Chancellors’ and Vice Chancellors’ Congress, Mumbai held in 2014. More than 107 countries participated in this Congress.
- Smt. Itchagauri Naik Gold Medal – First class first in B.Sc.(Home)
- The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda Merit Scholarships for standing first in all eight undergraduate semester examinations.
- Akhila Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (Gujarat Branch) Merit Certificate
- Mary Hunter Scholar Of the P.E.O Sisterhood, U.S.A.
- P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship for postgraduate studies at Iowa State University Of Science & Technology, U.S.A.
- Senior Research Fellowship, Indian Council Of Medical Research, New Delhi
- Membership By Invitation :
- 1. SIGMA XI – The Scientific Research Society Of North America
- 2. IOTA SIGMA PI – The National Chemical Honor Society for Women, U.S.A.
- Ountstanding Woman Achiever Award of the All Indian Management Association.
- First woman Chancellor of the Recognized Indian University with more than 35000 students.
- Conferred ‘Associatship’ of the Nutrition foundation Of India, New Delhi.
- Food And Nutrition Department, The M. S. University of Baroda ‘Alumni Achievement Award’
TEACHING AND RESEARCH EXPERIENCE:
- More than 12 years of teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses in nutrition, food science, biochemistry, physiology, statistics and research methods and guiding research of postgraduats students.
- As a Senior Research Fellow of the INDIAN COUNCIL OF MEDICAL RESEARCH, New Delhi. She researched on “Trace Element Availability of Indian Diets” at the National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad(1976-1982).
- She has conducted several community and experimental (laboratory) research projects and surveys in nutrition, dietetics, education, food habits, family welfare, culture, etc. some of which were sponsored by the International Federation for Home Economics, the Nutrition Foundation of India, University Grants Commission, Indian Council of Medical Research and other national/governmental agencies, NGOs and industries.
PROFESSIONAL & WORK EXPERIENCE:
Served As :
- Member of the Commission on Education and Training, the International Union for Conservation of Nature & Natural Resources (IUCNNR), Switzerland.
- Chairperson, Food & Nutrition Programme Committee, International Federation For Home Economics (IFHM), France.
- Member Of The :
- 1. Steering group on Nutrition, Planning Commission, Government of India.
- 2. Governing Body, Institute Of Home Economics, New Delhi.
Currently A MEMBER OF THE:
- Advisory Committee for Rajiv Gandhi Institute For Contemporary Studies, RAJIV GANDHI FOUNDATION, New Delhi.
- Food And Nutrition Council, Government of India.
- Governing Body, Nutrition Foundation Of India, New Delhi.
- Faculty Board of Home Science, The Maharaja Sayajirao University Of Baroda.
- Programme Committee on Women & Families in Development, IFHE, Paris, France.
- Trustee, GOPALAN ORATION TRUST, Hyderabad.
- She is also currently serving as an Expert on the Board Of Studies (Foods & Nutrition and Home Science) of The Maharaja Sayajirao University Of Baroda, and on the Selection Committees for appointement of University Teachers and Ph.D. supervisors at Nagpur and Amravati Universities.
- Dietetic Counsellor to Shree Maharani Shantadevi Trust, Vadodara and the Diabetes Association Of Baroda.
- She has published several research and popular articles in national and International Journals of repute.
- Contributed a recipe to the “Family Favourities”, Celebrity Cookbook published by the Vienna NGO Committee on the Family in cooperation with the UN Secreteriat for the International Year Of the Family , vienna, 1994.
You may also like...
Traffic at a Glance
Days in Range 30
Average Daily Pageviews 66
From Search Results 1.142
Unique IPs 1.151
Last 30 minutes 1